How to Build an Effective Website?
But achieving this convergence of business goals and needs of target market can be a tricky process. Just by surfing around the web it can be inferred that it is easier to get it wrong than to get it right.
Now, another question is, what is the difference between an ‘effective’ website and a ‘successful’ website? For a website to be successful people need to be able to find it i.e. its SEO, SEM etc. should be good enough to get more and more traffic on to the website. But, if you build your site to cater for the right people’s needs you significantly increase the chance that, once they arrive, they’ll become more than just a passing statistic. This is what is called an effective website.
Key steps of effective website development:
Different businesses will follow different processes involving different groups of people when designing, developing and implementing a website, but regardless of the approach, there are a number of key steps that generally form part of any web development project:
- Establish goals for the website
- Analyze the competition
- Define target market
- Decide how they will find you online?
- Decide what they will be looking for when they arrive?
- Choose a domain name
- Choose a hosting service
- Decide on who will make website? – In-house or outsourced to some external agency
- Make a schedule and assign responsibilities
- Decide on themes and templates, if using CMS like WordPress or Joomla
- Decide on the look and feel of the site – colors, graphics etc.
- Decide on the navigation – menus, pages etc.
- Define content structure
- Construct the actual pages, based on design
- Develop the content, links and navigation hierarchy
- Make sure everything works fine as per requirement, before launching it to the world
- Make it live on the internet for the whole world