How to Setup Google Authorship and Improve SEO?
Google Authorship is a way for authors to connect their Google+ profiles to their online content to establish original ownership. It could be one of the most significant SEO factors to help improve rankings since the Hummingbird update back in September 2013.
What are the advantages of setting up Google Authorship?
- It provides an enhanced eye-catching rich snippet on the search engine results page (SERP). A rich snippet with a strong image/profile picture and established circle of Google friends lends a strong level of credibility to that result. Example:
- This credibility and more appealing result is likely to have higher click-through rate (CTR) as compared to the standard text-only search results. Higher CTRs can also have a positive influence on that results ability to rank even more high in search results.
- It also helps in quick indexing of content in Google as Google+ is a Google product, they index authorship content much quicker.
How to setup Google Authorship for your website?
- Select one or more authors for your website’s content.
- Make sure author have a valid Google+ profile with a good, recognizable headshot as their profile photo.
II. Verify authorship:
An author need to verify authorship of content by associating it with their Google+ profile, using either of the two methods below.
1. Automatically link website to author’s Google+ profile using a verified email address.
Step 1: For this author need to have an email address (for example, email@example.com) on the same domain as the content (dmzilla.com)
Step 2: Make sure a byline containing author’s name appears on each page of the content created by that author on your website. Also, make sure the byline name matches with the name on author’s Google+ profile.
Step 3: Ask author to visit the Authorship Page and submit their email address (for example, firstname.lastname@example.org) to Google. Their email will appear in the Contributor to Section of their Google+ profile.
Advantage of this method is that no matter how many articles or posts they publish on this domain, they only need to do this process once.
2. Manually link content to author’s Google+ profile
This method should be used only when author don’t have an email address on the same domain as the content.
Step 1: Create a link to author’s Google+ profile from your webpage, like this:
Replace [profile_url] with author’s Google+ profile URL, like this:
Note: Your link must contain the ?rel=author parameter. If it’s missing, Google won’t be able to associate your website content with author’s Google+ profile.
Step2: Ask author to add a reciprocal link back from their Google+ profile to the website, using following steps:
- Edit the Contributor to Section
- In the dialog that appears, click Add custom link, and then enter the website URL.
- If required, click the drop-down list to specify who can see the link.
- Click Save.
Use the Structured Data Testing Tool, to see whether everything is working fine or not.
Have any doubts? Ask your question in comments.